Let there be screen!
We finally finished painting and rescreening our back porch. Screening was the easiest and fastest part of the whole process. It took us three coats of paint to cover the wood sufficiently. We color-matched our existing trim to Benjamin Moore’s Nature’s Essentials and got exterior Behr Paint and Prime in One. It took us so long because of the weather. We wanted to paint with enough days to be sure it wouldn’t be soaking wet after 24 hours, so the forecast combined with traveling and work extended this project a few weeks longer than we’d planned.
Here’s a before shot to give you a comparison:
The new screen is nice and clean, which really increases the visibility in the photo. We didn’t bother to paint the door in its entirety. For one reason, we would have had to remove the hardware to do so, and the door is badly bowed at the top. We’re going to replace it soon, and didn’t want to waste paint on a door destined for the recycle bin.
We still have to paint and nail in the exterior flashing, which covers up the areas where the screen is stapled into the wood, so today is mainly interior shots. Hopefully soon to come: a round of Behr’s DeckOver on the porch floor.
When we first began hanging the screen, we did it the way the previous owners had, in two pieces per section. When we did the first section and stood back to make sure it looked okay, I suggested we do the rows in their entirely. Light bulb! That’s what we did the rest of the way, and it made it a lot faster. Our method was to start at the top, staple across, and then work our way down. We used an electric staple gun without any complaints. It worked well for us. The flashing will cover the overlap and staples, and will be painted to match the wood.
Here’s a shot of the space between the bushes and the porch (below). When we moved in, the appraiser told us that the bushes had grown too close to the porch. There was a buildup of dirt against the wood, which is an invitation for termites. So we had to cut back the bushes (6 inches) and then dig out all the extra dirt. Not fun. This was also the hardest area in which to attach the screen, because I had to shuffle in between the porch and the bushes, and once the screen was on, there wasn’t anything to hold on to.