Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You may remember way back in August when we complained about the hole in our roof. We’re very behind in updating you on it. Life! To make a long story short, B fixed our poor roof all by himself—well, I acted in a Vanna White capacity and passed him tools through the window. That has to count for something, right?

What Went Down
The first thing we did after discovering our holey roof was to contact three local roofing companies with good references either online or through friends who’ve had roofing work done. One company never returned our calls, which baffled us with the economy the way it is. You’d think they’d jump at the business…

After B met with the various companies, he had a good idea what needed to be done to fix the damage. Each of the companies had very similar methods and prices, so we knew what we’d have to spend to fix it and what they would do. The overall price was $1,300.

Next, B jumped online. He found a few construction/industry websites where there were forums with roofers discussing our very issue, and he studied up. He found  websites outlining how to repair a hole in your roof (YouTube is a beautiful thing for a homeowner on a strict budget), and read basically every single thing he could get his hands on. Then he fixed it himself!

What B Did
First, B scraped off the shingles around the damaged area. Then, he used his reciprocating saw to cut out the damaged plywood boards.

This left us with a large, but neat, square hole in our roof. The insides of your house are an odd thing to behold. It feels a bit like you’re peering inside a body and seeing its bones and veins. It feels wrong, because all these innards should be hidden, but fascinating too.

Next, B measured and cut a new piece of plywood for the hole. He also built a rectangle of 2x4s, which he screwed into the beams in the roof. This was to give himself something to nail the new roofing material to.

After screwing in the 2×4 rectangle and plywood, B placed a new piece of roofing felt over the exposed plywood, and nailed it down using galvanized roofing nails (to prevent rust).

After the roofing felt was installed, B laid the shingles and nailed them in one sheet at a time, staggering them so that they matched the rest of the roof. (A few days prior, we had taken a piece of the old shingles to Lowes so that we could buy a set of new shingles of the exact same kind.) B also put tar glue (not sure the proper name. It comes in a caulk tube) over each nail to help seal it and prevent any moisture from coming in again.

After the shingles were laid, B caulked around the exterior of the roof again, and cut and laid in a new piece of flashing around the edge of the second story and the roof. This was tricky because of the downspout, but after some finagling, it worked. Then he added an extension to our downspout, which we learned caused this whole issue to begin with. The original downspout was too short and caused an excess amount of water to flow onto the roof (instead of escorting the water down the roof a bit farther), which caused the flashing and shingles in this area to weather prematurely.

So after 3.5 hours worth of work, the roof is just like new. We now own a plethora of roofing felt and shingles, and have some handy knowledge. When all was said and done, it ended up costing us just $100 to fix, which is definitely something to jump for joy about!

Advertisements