B has been craving Buffalo chicken recently, so tonight we decided to use what we had and throw together some Buffalo chicken sandwiches. After some discussion, we decided to grill the chicken instead of the usual Buffalo chicken method of breading and frying it. It turned out delicious without the breading, and we saved the calories. The recipe we made makes enough chicken for four sandwiches, so we’ll have leftovers to snack on. We served it with a side salad and corn on the cob. At the last minute we realized we wanted a blue cheese sauce to go on the sandwiches, and adapted a Southern Living recipe to fit the ingredients we had on hand. It was delish!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings
Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 2-4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 medium-size chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Ground red pepper
- Garlic powder
- 6 Tbsp. Buffalo wing sauce (we used Frank’s)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 tomato slices
- Preheat grill to 350° (medium-high) heat. Stir together mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients. Taste and add more blue cheese to suit your taste. Our blue cheese was strong, so we went on the lower end, but this will depend on the brand you buy. Cover and chill.
- Sprinkle chicken with desired amount of salt and next 3 ingredients. We went light on the peppers since the chicken is going to get a good amount of heat from the Buffalo sauce.
- Grill chicken, covered with the grill lid, 3-5 minutes on each side or until done. Let rest 2-4 minutes. Cut into thin strips. Toss in Buffalo sauce. Again, add more Buffalo sauce to suit your taste. I eyeballed it, aiming to get the chicken nicely coated without being soupy. You don’t want it to be too spicy to eat!
- Spread a nice amount of the blue cheese sauce (we did a solid spoonful per sandwich) on cut sides of tops of hamburger buns. Arrange chicken slices on bottom halves of buns. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and tops of buns, sauce sides down. Enjoy!