Now I’ve got your attention, huh?
So up until now this blog has been a sorta neglected space for keeping track of stuff we do to the new casa. But recently I’ve been thinking, Why not add some cooking topics, too? Since I like nothing more than eating most of my day, anyway, I might as well blog about it some.
I know, I know. O to the M to the G. (I can’t believe I just typed that. What a mood I’m in. But I’m keeping it for posterity’s sake.) At first I was kind of like, Hmm, I don’t know about that. But then I decided I think it’s actually kind of brilliant.
I wish I could say that I’ve made it, but alas, I have not, having only discovered it a few short minutes ago. But I am very curious, and had I not just made the thing I’m about to talk about this past weekend, I would jump on the baking train again this weekend for this blue number. But we’ve still got plenty of this hanging around:
These are the Marble Brownies from Southern Living magazine’s April 2011 issue, and they are divine. I’ve also had the Caramel version and can attest that those are great, too, but this weekend I was in the mood for some cream cheese with my chocolate, so these got whipped up. I highly recommend them.
And you know what? I didn’t realize until just now that I didn’t follow the baking temperature correctly. The variation tells you to bake at 325°, and I skipped right over that went with the original temp of 350°. So that’s another bonus–they’re forgiving!
You Need This:
- 1 (4-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking bar, chopped [I used Baker’s brand 4 (1-oz.) squares since that’s what I had)]
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-oz.) package softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in sugar and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour. Spread batter into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Beat softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Dollop cream cheese mixture over brownie batter in pan. Swirl using a knife.
- Bake at 325° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- The original recipe has you put half the chocolate batter in the pan, then the cheese batter, then the remaining chocolate batter. I thought this would be messy and a pain, so I just put all the chocolate batter in and then dolloped the cream cheese batter over it, and swirled. Worked just fine.
- The original recipe has you cool them 1 hour before eating. No way. Who can avoid warm brownies wafting through their kitchen? You’d have to go outside for an hour, and it’s way too hot here for that. I cut those babies up after about 20 minutes and poured a big glass of cold milk. Yum.